Many small businesses and solo entrepreneurs dive into social media marketing strategies without visualizing a bigger plan. What ensues is usually far from what they had hoped. Instead of attracting more leads and sales, they end up wasting time, money and passion.
It doesn’t have to be this way.
This problem can be easily remedied by taking time to learn from those who are already experiencing success with social media marketing and by implementing a clear, specific, actionable and measurable web marketing plan.
In this article, I’ll give you a step-by-step overview of the actions that will M.O.S.T. help you succeed in marketing your business online.
M: Market Intelligence
Before you implement any social media marketing strategy, you need to create a marketing plan. A plan always starts with research. It’s amazing how many businesses fail to do this step properly before they start marketing. I’ve been guilty of it in the past, so I can sympathize!
Think of it this way: Would you rather hop in a plane with clear instructions on how to get to your destination, or play it by ear?
Before anything else, gather market intelligence:
- Who are your target audience and competitors?
- How are they using social networks?
- Where can they be found?
- How are they interacting or communicating with others?
- What are the best ways to catch your audience’s attention and engage them?
Some tips and resources you can use for market research:
- Keyword research: You would do well to find out the keywords your target audience is using to find solutions to their problems. A brilliant tool for this is Market Samurai.
- Surveys: Perform surveys to find out what your target market is really thinking.
- Forums: Hang out in niche/interest-specific forums and interact as much as you can to build relationships and find out what people are talking about.
- Quantcast.com: See public information on popular websites in your niche to get a snapshot of what you can expect for your own.
- Google trends: Find out what’s hot in the search engines now.
- Google competitors: Check out the top 15 ranking websites in Google for the keywords relating to your niche and look at what they’re doing online.
- Twitter search: Keep your finger on the pulse of the marketplace by instantly revealing real-time tweets for certain keywords and phrases.
After you’ve gathered valuable